Dental Implants Aftercare
If you are considering getting dental implants, you have no doubt already researched this treatment and how it can restore your smile. If you want the best results for your smile and your overall dental health, though, you should know a few things about dental implants aftercare. With the right care at home, you may be able to accelerate the healing time, and you will definitely enjoy your dental implants for many more years to come.
Immediately After Dental Implant Placement
After you visit your dentist in Walnut Creek to have your dental implants placed, you will likely still be numb leaving this office. This is to be expected, but there are a few things you should do to avoid any complications. These include:
- Avoid hot beverages, and do not eat until the anesthetic has worn off. This will help you avoid burning your mouth or accidentally biting down on your new implant.
- Drink plenty of water. If you experience some bleeding, you can rinse your mouth out gently with a saline solution.
- Some minor pain is to be expected. Taking an over-the-counter analgesic or nSAID (non-steroid anti-inflammatory drug) should take care of this.
In the First Week After Your Dental Implant Placement
The first week is very important to dental implants aftercare:
- If you have a partial denture for the implant site, avoid wearing it for at least the first 10 days after placement. This will help the implant heal faster, while avoiding infection.
- Take your prescribed antibiotics on schedule until they run out to avoid infection.
- Follow your dentist’s directions closely for the proper oral hygiene to avoid pain and to keep your implant healthy as it heals.
After your dental implant has healed, and your crown is fitted, your dental implants aftercare will be much simpler – you will brush, floss, and use mouthwash as normal.
Contact Our Walnut Creek Dentist for Dental Implants
If you have any questions about dental implants aftercare or any other part of the dental implants process, please do not hesitate to call us at Pope Dental in Walnut Creek at 925-939-4989 today. Contact us today!